Skip to main content

The Mighty Foe

I've had a rough couple weeks.  In my head alot, but I wrote this poem tonight. I'm sharing in hopes it may help someone else.

The Mighty Foe
22 March 2018


There's a poem I once wrote about a mighty foe,
It's like a dream when I think of so long ago.
Back then it was just an average name,
Of a liquidy substance some drank in shame.
I knew it caused problems it was easy to see,
I couldn't fathom to drink it, in the naiive little me.
No one could make me, of that I was sure,
My heart was still open, my intentions were pure.
When I had been offered my first little drink,
Something inside me decided not to shrink.
I took a sip that I liked, then guzzled it down.
If I had anymore I knew I would drown
So I swore I would never pick it up again;
Then my heart got shattered and my story began:
Alcohol started to be my best friend.
Anytime I was heartbroken it had an ear to lend.
Everytime I was scared it gave me a hand,
To help fight my battles or bury me in sand.
When I was cold it warmed me right up.
If I was tired it was a great pick-me-up.
I was lonely alot, and it made me new friends,
However, it blinded me to all the dead ends.
When at last I was shown the life I was leading,
It was like a horror book I was reading.
I had pushed away the ones I loved most.
The face in the mirror, was but a scared little ghost.
The light in my eyes had completely diminished,
And I knew at that moment, I had to be finished.
I had hurt many people and blamed it on them;
Really I was hurting myself, over and over again.
I've thought many times of the damage I've done,
Now with God's help, I know that I've won.
The binds of this monster are finally falling off,
Though I feel it inside and hear it scoff.
It says I can't do it, that I'll never win.
It says I'm not worthy, that I should give in.
When I refuse to let the fight go on,
I give it to God, that these fears may be gone.
I know that He'll help me, He's given me tools,
To help me swim across the negativity pools.
Some days it's harder to escape the madness;
Those days I am grateful, not full of sadness.
For those days remind me how far I have traveled,
And show me that alcohol's binds have unraveled.
Now instead of running or hiding somewhere,
I know I can turn to someone who'll share,
Their experience, love, understanding and peace.
There are plenty of others who have found release.
I know I can turn to God, church or family,
Or if I'm not ready I have friends who will hear me.
Some strangers are willing to listen, I'm learning,
For their past has also left their heart burning.
So try as you may, you will never win,
For mighty foe named alcohol, I will not let you in.
My heart now, does not have the space;
It is a grateful, loving, and peaceful place.
And as long as I listen, and let God run the show,
He will tie my life together, not with binds; with a bow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen

W hy am I so scared to heal? Is it laziness? Is it fear? What am I scared of? Why don't I want to thrive, only survive? I have issues with isolation, laziness, distractions. How do I get out of this loop? I'm frozen, stalled. Procrastination and avoidance are my daily routines. Frozen 24 April 2022 Marie Slider Scared to heal, scared to live, Why is there no care that I give? Desire to run or walk away, But can't take a step to get out of my way. I'm frozen in a bubble of time, Completely surrounded by dust and grime. Cobwebs entangle my conscious mind, Body entangled by ropes that bind. Apathy threatens to take control, Darkening my beautiful soul. My light inside, it flickers and fades, Isolation cuts like sharpened blades. Fear of failure and fear of success, My brain and heart are completely a mess. Can't see a way out most of the days, My mind's labyrinth firmly betrays. Self-awareness, a strength to many who seek, For a person like m

My Squad of Angels

My Squad of Angels 29 December 2017 They're not that far away; all those who passed before. They're waiting for my arrival just behind this mortal door. They're watching and guiding prayerfully in that space that's just beyond. They're in the creases of my heart; a place they're very fond. They're floating through my memories, to help sort out my past. They want me to find happiness, but their flag is at half mast. They do this to help me bear the weight of struggles along the way.  They want to give their strength to me during every painful day. They wait beyond my consciousness, their warmth they want to share; Sometimes I feel it blowing in the wind that moves my hair. I see them in a stranger's face as a flicker or a feeling. Sometimes the similarities scare me through the ceiling. I wonder if that person may be sent from one who passed, Or if a chance connection is a hook my loved ones

Not Lost

Not Lost 18 June 2020 Marie Slider Lost in my brain, feeling insane; not sure of where to go. Yearn to be free; what's happening to me? In a boat I cannot row. Thoughts reign supreme, or so it seems; where can I find release? Where can I run? This is not very fun; why can I not find peace? What's that I hear? It's not very clear; where is it coming from? A pitter a patter, I feel like this matters; the noise is that of a drum. It's not a loud sound, but it booms all around; A stirring within my heart. The spirit, it speaks; the brain starts to weep, for the curtains they finally part. They show a love there, that the brain said was bare, and so I could not see. How much I have grown; that I'm never alone; that Someone is holding me. The scars that I've earned, are lessons Ive learned and I cannot forget; The fact of the matter; I did not shatter, And I will not live in regret. So when I feel lost, and my brain feels tossed, I hope thes